Tuesday, June 11, 2013

LIVE FLORAL ART...what a thrill

        Back in the 90's my wife and I owned a flower shop.  I loved the creative aspect of the business, but I never cared much for the stress that came with it.

        The flowers always had to be fresh, so they had to be sold quickly, also the pressure of making sure that every wedding was perfect, was a lot of fun but maddening   Also we had several corporate clients that relied on us to make awesome arrangements to impress their customer and   several celebrity customers who used us to send to their friends and family.

        We never disappointed them but it took its toll.

        Floral design came easy to me, being an artist.  Every arrangement had to have the same basics as a good painting; Structure, Balance, Texture and Color, and not just any color, but colors that made sense and mirrored the mood of the occasion.  My favorite combination was anything using monochromatic colors, which were very warm and comforting.

        It was like having your art come alive, and it was completed in minutes, and very exhilarating I must admit.  On holidays, my designer and I would literally do hundreds of arrangements in one day, it was very tiring but fun.


Green Planet 2002, oil on canvas

        That period from the mid 90's to the mid 2000's, while we were in that business, I painted many floral pieces, mostly on canvas, but several on windows blinds and even on a glass window, all of which I still have.



Field of Purple, 1999, acrylic on canvas


        I think working with flowers every day kept me extremely creative and that's a great place to be.


Passing fancy 1999, acrylic on canvas
       

        The best part of my experience with floral design was the availability of fabulous vibrant colors.  It was fun to go to the wholesale house to pick out the flowers for the day and as you are choosing them you are imagining what creation you will make.

        I still do silk arrangements for churches and friends, it's almost like doing a painting because it will last more than the two weeks of a live arrangement.

        In closing this blog, I would strongly encourage any artist reading this piece to try floral design, its the ultimate painting.

ENJOY THE JOURNEY MY FRIENDS...ZMAKEY

ZMAKEY ART STUDIO AND GALLERY
VISIT US AT ZMAKEYART-GOOGLE SITES
FACEBOOK-ZMAKEY ART STUDIO AND GALLERY 
AND
FINE ART AMERICA.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment